Thursday 12 January 2012

Typography heaven and the shipping forecast


Clive Sefton let me know about this fantastic website unlimitededitions.co.uk. Several of the artists I've already featured on the blog are here, including Clive and Jacqui Sharples. Unlimited Editions is based in Brighton and create their own pieces as well as featuring the work of other artists. They have a shop in Brighton as well as the website gallery.One of the artists they feature is John Christopher who did this fabulous letterpress print based on the Shipping forecast.

  The shipping forecast has always been a source of wonder, mysterious place names and confusion. I have fond memories of listening to the forecast as a little girl whilst eating my tea! I might consider basing a papercut on that very memory...

But as you can see I'm not the only person who has been inspired by this weather based poetry.


This print is from Chay Hawes of Chayground


And this blueprint by Russell Squires of spacemonkeypress sheds a little bit more light on the locations of these strange sounding places.

Now time for tea and the shipping forecast!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the inclusion on this wonderful blog.

    I just simply love the shipping forecast and it s popularity within British popular culture. Hearing the soothing voice of Peter Jefferson over the years has been wonderful.

    I typically create traditional hand coated blueprints 'cyanotypes' of planes and thought a map of the UK shipping areas would look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for featuring my work. When I used to have trouble sleeping I would put on the radio and listen to the mellow, gentle tones of the shipping forecast and think about being out there on the sea at night. In this day and age it seems very anachronistic that the forecast is still broadcast in this way, but I'm glad that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to find out more about the inspiration behind these pieces - and know that I'm not the only one who is fond of the forecast. Thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including my 'moderate or good' letterpress print; printed by hand one-at-a-time using vintage printing equipment - everyone comments on it's mantra-like qualities.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...