Monday 9 January 2012

The perfect photograph

    "Each piece has its own unique history, its wear and tear tell a story of its past." Rain - Second Home

Over the past  couple of months I have been on a very steep learning curve about how to take good product photographs. I think I still have a long way to go on that learning curve! One aspect, stressed by everybody giving advice on the subject, is the importance of natural light - prompting a new found interest in the weather forecast. It really is crucial, and I can see in the photographs I have taken so far, the difference a bright sunny day makes. It doesn't seem to be the only key ingredient though.

What I am really striving for is a mysterious something that is very hard to describe.  Fellow Etsy and Folksy sellers will know that we are encouraged to take photos which tell a product's story and will help people get a sense of not only what something looks like, but how it feels; how it could be used;how it could fit into someone's home.

The perfume bottle pictured above can be found in Second Home - a fantastic Etsy shop selling vintage homewares. I've included it in the blog because to me it is as close to perfection as you can get for a product photo. It succeeds in telling the viewer so much. I can feel the bumpy glass, the texture of the wooden block and label. I want to pick the bottle up; I can imagine who it might have belonged to and how I could use and enjoy it in my home.

If I can get anywhere close to this quality of photograph I will be a very happy girl. 

Photography tips on how to get that certain something would be very welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...