Friday 27 January 2012

Map update

This is the cut template for the shipping forecast mythical map. Apart from the fact that it is going to take forever to cut I'm really pleased with how the elements works together. I've split the Norse saga elements so that they speak to each other, and help tell the story of the piece. So the excerpts round the whale represent whale song and the strong winds coming in from the west.  The boat is surging forward on the instructions and reassurances of its captain, the men's prayers for protection are floating heavenward from the boat etc.

I've used a snippet from the shipping forecast to create the whirlpool sometimes associated with the Kraken. It is describing strong winds that could escalate to storm 10. If I'm correct that is as bad as it gets!

For the eagle eyed you will notice I've concentrated on the expanse of sea between Norway, Iceland and the Shetlands. My sister often sees whales around Fair Isle so I decided to include them especially because of their singing. The Viking ship is unsurprisingly in the shipping forecast area Viking!

I wanted to capture the threat of the sea and the Kraken lurking in the expanse of water between Iceland and Norway seemed to represent this well.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks amazing. Can't wait to see it finished.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It should be finished by Thursday evening so I'll post the result then!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...