Friday 18 May 2012

Dream displays


A couple of weekends ago I attended the Kimpton May Festival and had a stall at their craft market. I was really keen to try out new stock and test out my display concept for the year.

A lot of my work is inspired by nature so it seemed right to reflect that in the display. I sourced some great glassware to showcase pieces and spent about a week painting various bits of furniture to create a cohesive look.

I tried to do a lot of research about how to create a successful display so thought that today I'd share what I learnt and tips that I found useful.



Try to use different heights in your display and add props where appropriate.



Over the course of the weekend I filled the jars and bird cage with papercut birds and butterflies in bright colours. (forgot to take a photo though!)



Make your display stands work for you. I used drawers, cupboards and shelves that could all happily be used in my office as well as craft fairs. They also are great for transporting your stock to and from a craft fair! This cabinet was made by my dad when he was at school - I just painted it with blackboard paint.

I painted everything black so that my items would stand out against it but also you wouldn't see any marks and scratches the stands might pick up.



Don't lay everything flat on the table. By propping things up people will be able to see your lovely goodies from a distance and so are more likely to come across and take a closer look.

Make sure you price everything clearly. People don't always want to ask the price.



I tried to display my cards in their various categories so that people could easily find what they were looking for.


Each craft fair is an opportunity to learn more about what people like and aren't so keen on and how to improve your display. I will definitely be tweaking my stall ready for my next event at the beginning of June. If you are in Potton on the 2nd June come down and say hi - otherwise check the blog for pictures of my tweaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...